When you’re researching your options for university study here are some of the key words you might come across, and what they mean.

Students who have graduated (completed a course and gained a
qualification) from university or college.
A non-repayable amount of money given to students who meet specific criteria.

The building, site, facilities and surrounding area of a university or college. Students will usually spend most of their time here.

The topic or subject that a student studies at university.

What a student receives when they complete their studies. They will receive a certificate showing what they studied and how well they did.

A piece of written work, with a specific word count, where students show that they have done research and are able to write about what they found out. The marks for this work go towards
their degree.

A student who is in their first year at university.

A student who has completed and successfully passed their university

A celebration event and ceremony once a student has passed their course
where they are given a degree certificate.

Halls of Residence:
Shared blocks of accommodation where students can live mainly during
their first year.

Higher Education:
The learner that takes place at universities, colleges and other institutions that award degrees or professional qualifications

Where students usually live during their first year of their degree.

A method used to teach students. A large group of students assemble in a room and take notes on what their lecturer is saying.

Someone who teaches students and is very knowledgeable in their subject because they do lots of specialised research and teaching.

A unit of learner on a certain topic. You would study a number of different modules each year.
A student who is currently studying for further qualifications after they have completed their first degree.

A brochure/guide that gives information about a university and the courses you can study there, as well information about clubs and accommodation.

When a small group of students meet with a lecturer to discuss the research they have been doing or idea they have about a subject.

Cash grants which do not have to be repaid. They are usually awarded to academic, sporting or music excellence.

Clubs where students with similar hobbies can share their beliefs, hobbies, or play sport together.

Student Loan:
Money which you can borrow from the government to cover your tuition fees and living cots. This is repayable but only when you are earning over £21,000*.

Student Union:
An organisation run by students for students. They offer many services and facilities including bars, restaurants, clubs and societies.

Tuition fees:
Something that universities charge for students to study at their institution. Students normally get a student loan to cover this cost. They cover the cost of teaching, resources, exams and assessment.

The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service. A national organisation that processes applications to universities and colleges in the UK.

A student who is currently studying for their first degree.

Phone 01952 642237