HNC Diploma in General Engineering Level 4
- Student Services 01952 642237
- Minimum Age:
- Fee information
- Follow this link
- Please contact our Learner Service Department as Part-Time Fees vary depending on personal circumstances.
- HE13 higher education Mechanical Electrical HNC
- Please call 01952 642237
- View Vacancy
The Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Engineering (General Engineering) is validated by Pearson and is targeted at the needs of local Engineering employers. This Level 4/5 qualification seeks to address the regional skills gap by up skilling their existing workforce and helping to improve competitiveness. The course aims to develop the experience and skills of company staff, industry's most important asset. This course is highly regarded by the global Engineering community and leads to a nationally recognised professional qualification. This course is aimed at students employed in the engineering industry wishing to improve their skills, knowledge and career prospects. An Electrical pathway is also available as an option with this course.
The course contains a number of core subjects plus selected specialist units appropriate to local needs. An example of the course units are;
1. Engineering Design
2. Engineering Maths
3. Engineering Science
4. Managing a Professional Engineering Project
5. Mechanical Principles
6. Materials, Properties and Testing
7. Computer Aided Design and Manufacture
8. Electro, Pneumatic and Hydraulic Systems
Four of these units will be studied in year 1 and the remaining four in year 2.
The course is part time and is studied over 2 years, one day a week.
This course is aimed at students employed in the Engineering industry wishing to improve their skills, knowledge and career prospects.
The entry requirements for the course are; GCSE Maths (grade A*-C or 9 to 4) and 1. A-level or AS-level passes in maths or scientific subjects 2. A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Engineering with merit grades in maths and engineering principles 3. A GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C (or equivalent) 4. Other related Level 3 qualifications 5. Related work experience 6. An international equivalent of the above Mature students who do not fulfil the entry requirements will be considered for this course on an individual basis and may be required to undertake some initial assessments.
- Work is assessed continually on an ongoing basis through the completion of assignment tasks. Deadlines for these assessments will be set at the beginning of each year. Typical methods of assessment include assignments, examinations, practical experiments and presentations.
- When you apply to the college you will be invited for an interview to discuss the course and your career ambitions. Although most of the course will be delivered from the Telford College campus some modules may be delivered from the University Centre Telford where there is a small charge for parking. Tuition fees for this course are £5,900 (full time) or £2,950 (part time) each year of study. Funding is available to support with the cost of this course and in some cases living expenses. Please see the Fee Information link for further advice and guidance relating to tuition fees and funding.
After the course
Upon the completion of the HNC Engineering, you can progress onto a Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering. Following the completion of the HND Engineering, you can progress on to local universities to study a range of BEng (Hons) top up courses.