Hairdressing Level 1
This is the first step on the ladder to a career in hairdressing, introducing you to the essential foundations and the practical aspects of working in a salon. This course makes use of our fantastic salon The Retreat, which is open to the public and functions just like working in industry. You can improve or gain brand new skills through study and practical learning.
- Introduction to shampooing
- Introduction to cutting
- Introduction to hair styling
- Required health & safety, reception skills & customer services
- Work with members of the public
- Use a salon which is industry standard
- Take part in competitions
- Enhance your learning with a mixture of studying and hands-on experience
- Learn from tutors with industry experience
Salon Assistant – assist in reception duties and hair washing. Salary: £14,000.
Hair Stylist – keeping client records, cutting and dying hair. Salary: £24,000.
Salon Manager – run the salon and staff and complete hair transformations. Salary: £40,000.
The skills you will need to be successful in the hairdressing industry
• the creativity to design and interpret hairstyles
• excellent customer service and communication skills
• organisational and time-keeping skills
4 GCSEs grades 2-1 including English or maths.
You will be assessed through a number of assignments: coursework, exam and portfolio-based.
You’ll have access to our salon The Retreat, which is open to the general public. This course leads to an NVQ in Hairdressing & Barbering Level 1
After the course
After the course you can progress onto an apprenticeship at level 2 or hairdressing level 2 course with Telford College. These can lead to an apprenticeship or hairdressing course at level 3.
Hairdressing Level 1Apply Now