Travelling to college

We’ve teamed up with Arriva to bring you better bus routes to ensure you can make your way to college. Visit Arriva’s website for other bus timetables.

Support with travelling to college

We can help with transport if your household income is less than £26,000 per year and you live more than 1.5 miles away from college. Call the grants team on 01952 642295.

Care leavers and children in care

College can be a bit daunting, getting used to a new environment, new routine and meeting new people all at once. If you are a child in care or a care leaver there may be additional challenges too.

At Telford College all our staff are trained to help meet your needs in a sensitive and confidential manner. We want you to succeed on your chosen course and help you with the next step, whether it’s work, an apprenticeship or higher education.

We offer:

  • A dedicated CIC / CL contact who will offer individual support throughout your time at college
  • Guidance and practical advice to help you settle in
  • A guaranteed bursary paid weekly
  • Help with transport, equipment and trips

We will also:

  • Act as a link between you and your social worker/foster carers
  • Meet with you before you start college to arrange early visits to support transition
  • Link with your tutors
  • Support you and offer advice and guidance on a variety of issues
  • Signpost for further support if required
  • Attend external meetings to support you as a Telford College student

Personal support

What is counselling?

Counselling is about listening and helping you to understand your feelings and your life so that you can make choices and change your life if you want to.
Counselling can also help you understand why you do the things you do and give you a chance to see things differently.

What is counselling not about?

Counselling is not about judging you or telling you what you ought to do. It’s not a “magic cure” to your problems or a quick fix. It often takes time to develop understanding and to think about change but if you give it a chance you can really feel the difference.

Will it go against me if I have counselling?

Many students from every part of the college use the college counselling service every year. It doesn’t matter if you are: male, female, trans, gay, straight, any age, culture, faith or ability. Your tutors will support you if they know you are being counselled but you don’t have to tell them and we wouldn’t either. Remember, many film stars, musicians and other famous people have had counselling. Everyone needs someone to talk to at some time in their lives.

At the very first appointment, you will be told that what you say is confidential – your family, friends and tutors are not told what you say. The only time the counsellor has to break that confidentiality is if you are at risk of being harmed or in danger or if someone else is at risk or in danger. Together we will sit down and talk about what to do next. You will be kept fully involved and informed about what is going on.

You can read any notes written by the counsellor during your session or have them read back to you. Notes are kept safely in a locked draw, inside a locked room.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment by drop in – turning up at CASA in the learner hub. If we can see you there and then , we will. Otherwise, we will arrange an appointment for another time.

  • You can ask your personal tutor to make an appointment.
  • You can come to the learner hub reception or ring them on 01952 642237.
  • Your mentor or befriender can arrange an appointment for you.

Appointments last 30–40 minutes although you are free to leave at any time. You may only need one session but you can have more, depending on the problem and whether or not you want to continue.

If you can’t make an appointment, please cancel it or let us know by ringing 01952 642237. If you don’t cancel it, the appointment is not kept open for the following week, but you are welcome to come and make another.

What kind of things can I talk about?

Here are just some of the things students have talked about this year;

  • Relationships, sexuality, abuse
  • Depression, self–harm, self esteem & confidence
  • Suicidal thoughts, mental health, stress & anxiety
  • Abortion, sexual problems, pregnancy
  • Substance misuse, panic attacks, phobias
  • Homelessness, post-traumatic stress, abuse
  • Loneliness, cultural issues, bereavement


Most of the time we will be able to help you at the college but, if needs be, we can refer you to another organisation who will be able to help. This will always be fully discussed with you and you will always know what’s going on.

How to find us

CASA – located in the learner hub.

Student support fund for supporting your studies

We may be able to help support you with your studies. Each person is considered individually. Please read the Grants Booklet 2018-19 for more information and download the Grants Application. Please note that the threshold for claiming a grant is a household income of £26,000.

Care to learn scheme

  • If you are under 20 at the start of your course, you may be able to get help with childcare fees from the Government’s care to learn scheme. You can apply online at care to learn.
  • If you are over 20 at the start of your course, you can apply for a grant towards your childcare fees. Read this booklet Childcare Application 2018-19.

Free College meals

If you are under 19 at 31/08/18, you may be able to claim free college meals, certain criteria apply.

Check the list below for eligibility.

  • You are 16-18 on 31 August 2018
  • You or your parent/guardian gets:
    • Income support.
    • Income-based job seekers allowance.
    • Income-related employment and support allowance (ESA).
    • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
    • Guarantee element of state pension credit.
    • Child tax credit (provided not entitled to working tax credit) and have an annual gross income of no more than ¬£16,190 (assessed by HM Customs and Revenue).
    • Working tax credit run-on (rules apply).

Advanced learner loan

If you are aged 19 or above and want to gain Level 3 – 6 qualifications to help your career, you may be able to apply for an advanced learner loan for eligible courses.

You don’t have to pay anything at the start of your course as you can apply for an advanced learner loan to cover the cost of your course.

You won’t repay the loan until you have completed your course and are earning ¬£21,000 per year – and then you pay a small percentage back – for example if you earn ¬£22,000 per year you only pay back ¬£7 per month.

Read our information leaflet here to find out more.