Financial Support

Home » Join us » Support for Students » Financial Support

We may be able to help you cover the costs of studying at Telford College.

Student discussing work with a teacher at a table.

If you are struggling to cover the cost of coming to college, we may be able to help.

Funds are available to assist financially disadvantaged learners through one of two Government-backed schemes – enhanced, and discretionary schemes – alongside free college meals.

What is an enhanced bursary?

If you are aged under 19 on August 31st 2024 and fall into one of the categories below, you may be eligible for an enhanced bursary:

Students are not automatically entitled to £1,200 per year. We will assess your application to identify an actual financial need. The type of support you may receive is help with essential costs of attending college such as kit/uniform, books, materials and trips. You may request that college support you with travelling to college providing you live more than 1.5 miles away.

Whether you are entitled to meals as part of your bursary support is assessed using the Free College Meals criteria and is separate to the Enhanced Bursary.

What is an discretionary award?

If you do not qualify for an enhanced bursary, you may still be entitled to discretionary funds to help with the cost of coming to college.

We will need to see your parents’ income if you are aged between 16-18 on August 31st 2024. If you are over 19 and living with parents we will ask for your personal income, not the income of your parents.

We may be able to give you help towards the following (receipts needed for certain costs):

College meals

You will be eligible for support towards the cost of food/drink while you are at college,  if you are aged under 19 on August 31st 2024 and the criteria below is met. You will receive a meal allowance per week which you can use at any time during the day through any of the college’s food and drink outlets.

Alongside your age, either you (if you are living independently) or your parents/guardians must be in receipt of one of the following

Contacting the financial support team


How do I apply?

You will receive an email from the college in near the end of the summer term, before you start college, with your unique link to apply. If you have not received a link, please use the form above to request your link.

Who is eligible to apply for a discretionary award?

You can be any age and enrolled on a full or part time course. Students enrolled on higher education, apprenticeships and Job Centre Plus courses are not eligible. Discretionary awards are means tested, so you/your household need to have a total household income of below £35,000 per annum to qualify.

How long will it take to process my application?

When you apply online, you will be asked to upload evidence of your/your parents’ income, or alternatively you can contact the team using the form below. Your application may take up to 15 working days to process. We will email or write to you with a decision. Please ensure, where possible, that you submit your application in plenty of time before you start your course. You will need to fund your own travel until your application is processed. Telford College will not reimburse your travel expenses if you have applied late for funding. The financial support team will be available all summer, ready to process your application.

What if I am refused funds and disagree with the decision?

If you are refused funds, we will send you a letter giving details of how you can appeal.

I have applied for an advanced learning loan to pay my course fees. Can I still apply for discretionary funds?

Yes, please complete an online application.


How much will I receive?

We will assess your application to identify an actual financial need. We cannot pay you any money up front, and will wherever possible, pay awards ‘in kind’ – give you a bus pass for instance, so you don’t need to find the money to pay for it.


I am aged 16-18 and have a child. Will I get help with childcare fees?

If you are aged under 20 at the start of your course, you can apply to the government run Care To Learn scheme for help with your childcare fees. Please see


What find of evidence will I need to supply?

You will need to let us know your total household income, and provide evidence to prove your eligibility for the Discretionary Award. We do not take into account child benefit, DLA/PIP or carer’s allowance.

Evidence could include the following for the current tax year:

  • All pages of 2022-2023 tax credits awards or 2022 tax credits review
  • Last 3 universal credit award statements showing how payments have been calculated
  • All pages of an income support/JSA/ESA awards letter, showing payments after April 2023.
  • Audited accounts for the most recent tax year
  • Housing/council tax benefit statement for 2023-2024
  • State pension awards letter showing payments after 2023
  • Payslips
  • Bank statements (only for students who have no income)