The health and wellbeing of students is of prime importance to us, and we want them to feel safe at all times.
Telford College takes the emotional health and wellbeing of students and staff very seriously.
Knowing that they can access the support we offer, whenever they need it, will make a big difference to a student’s college experience.
The college’s BeSafe Team has counsellors and mentors on site, who are here to support them.
If you have any concerns about the safety of any student, we want you to contact a member of our BeSafe team: You can call 01952 642220, email to firstname.lastname@example.org or report to main reception.
All suspicions of abuse will be taken seriously, and responded to swiftly.
All students, regardless of ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability, have the right to a safe environment.
All students have the right to learn in a safe environment. Telford College operates a ‘zero tolerance’ policy towards bullying, including physical, emotional, online or verbal abuse.
In our technology-driven world, it can sometimes be difficult to understand what the various digital platforms do, how they work, and the safety settings you require. If you find this difficult and confusing, there is a useful website called ParentZone which has lots of helpful tips and advice.
All students and their families are entitled to access Early Help support and as a college, staff ensure that appropriate support and guidance is offered to students/ parents/carers at any time. It is important to us that that students and their families get the right support at the right time.
Telford College offers a wide range of its own Early Help services and is committed to promoting positive outcomes for students. The offer includes:
- A comprehensive, student focussed, personal development programme “EMERGE”- offered to all students.
- A full and robust tutorial programme, including statutory safeguarding topics.
- A broad and engaging enrichment offer, with a wide, rich set of experiences on offer, and an extensive range of opportunities to have their views understood, including student voice, student surveys, becoming a student representative, being part of the student council, all creating opportunities for staff to listen to students.
- Counselling on campus by a trained and qualified counsellor.
- Progress coaches and personal tutors to offer pastoral and attendance support.
- Access to external safeguarding groups to deliver engaging information sessions about safeguarding topics, such as Loudmouth.
- Access to free period products to combat period poverty.
- Access to free breakfast and meal deals to support those who do not meet the threshold for bursary support.
- The Sanctuary with sensory room and access to trained behaviour support facilitator.
- Student Centre Plus for SEND support.
- Student Hub with access to advisors on careers, bursary/ financial support and work experience.
- BeSafe team for advice in relation to strategies and pastoral/ suicide intervention plans.
- Support for transition through Transition Managers.
- Designated teacher for those who are looked after.
- Referrals to appropriate services as necessary e.g. BEE U, Family Connect, Physio, Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy (dependent on the criteria for their services).
- Signposting to support groups and organisations Out-of-hours safeguarding information – Telford College
- Behaviour support and Positive Behaviour Process.
- SEND policy and specialist support.
- Multi Faith room.
- Fitness to Study policy.
- Parents evenings and progress reviews.
There is a range of information and services that can be accessed (some of these may be dependent on locality). Please see below links for the ‘Local Offer’ and other useful websites that can offer support.
- Telford Early Help Family Connect – Telford & Wrekin Council
- Shropshire Early Help Early help tools | Shropshire Council
- Telford SEND Local Offer https://www.telfordsend.org.uk/site/index.php
- Shropshire SEND Local Offer https://www.shropshire.gov.uk/the-send-local-offer/
- Staffordshire SEND Local Offer https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/education/Access-to-learning/Local-Offer-SEND-Pathway.aspx
- Wolverhampton SEND Local Offer https://win.wolverhampton.gov.uk/kb5/wolverhampton/directory/localoffer.page?localofferchannel=0
- Walsall SEND Local Offer https://send.walsall.gov.uk/
- Parents Opening Doors https://www.podstelford.org/