Telford College logo, white text stating Telford College with blue partly closed circle icon.

Dedicated business admin apprentice Maddie is thriving at Telford College

Maddie Pettitt

Maddie Pettitt is flourishing in her role as a business administration apprentice at Telford College, working in the college’s Management Information Systems (MIS) department.

The former Sutherland School student had originally been working in a cinema and a couple of restaurants before moving back to Telford from Evesham, choosing to do an apprenticeship role to kickstart her career.

The business administration apprenticeship allows students to earn while they learn, working in an active business for 80% of their programme whilst learning in a classroom for the remaining 20%.

Apprentices can learn how to develop and maintain administrative services, as well as working with customers, stakeholders, and a supportive team in the workplace. They will also improve their communication, problem-solving, decision-making and management skills in a practical setting.

Maddie said: “I initially interviewed for an apprenticeship in the HR department, however I was offered a role in the MIS team instead and I’ve never looked back. My team are fantastic and I’m really happy to be a part of it.

“Some of my duties include updating timetables and bookings, financial reports, sorting course data for the upcoming years and funding. I love how varied the role is, I’m never bored and there’s so much to do.

“I prefer working in the office setting compared to working in hospitality, as it seemed like it was too busy to stop and talk to people. I feel the team here are lovely and always have my back when things are hard.

“My programme has also taught me leadership which I feel has allowed me to improve my communication skills, whether it’s on the phone, through e-mail or face to face. I also feel like I don’t fear management as much as I have done previously, I understand the hierarchy and why people do what they do.

“I’m five months into my 18-month apprenticeship, I already feel like I’m independent and I’m doing well in my role. I feel I’ve really grown confidence and I’m setting a great example for my children.

“After I’ve finished my apprenticeship, I’d love to stay here at Telford College and explore the progression routes available to me. I really enjoy working here and I see a great future here.”

Mandy Knight, MIS team leader at Telford College, said: “Maddie is doing so well in her role. she has been able to assist everyone during busy times. She is always happy to help everyone and take on any new task that is asked of her.”

“She is also expanding her off-the-job training by assisting different areas of the college which will give her a greater overall experience that she will be able to apply to her apprenticeship.

“The hiring process was simple and straightforward; we had many quality applicants to choose from and, after a successful interview process, Maddie was appointed to the role. She has integrated to the team well, quickly becoming a great addition to the team.”

Inspired by Maddie’s story and considering starting a career in business? Contact our apprenticeship team today at 01952 642452, or email