Pre-employment Training and Sector-Based Work Academies
Telford College has several years of experience working in partnership with Jobcentre Plus and employers across Shropshire and the Midlands, generating new opportunities for the unemployed to gain skills in a variety of vocational areas and enter into employment.
What is a sector-based work academy?
Sector-based work academies are a way to create a skilled workforce for your business through vocational, sector-specific training.
Generally lasting between 2 to 6 weeks, programmes are designed to help those who are unemployed, ready for work, and receiving benefits, to secure employment.
Learners will remain on their benefit throughout the training and can access support with travel costs through the Jobcentre for the duration of the course.
Sector-based work academies are designed to help meet employers immediate and future recruitment needs as well as to recruit a workforce with the right skills to sustain and grow their business, and require no direct cost to the employer as these are covered by government funding.
What does the work academy consist of?
- Pre-employment training: This will be relevant to the needs of the business and sector, ensuring that learners looking for employment gain the appropriate skills to succeed in the workplace. The training is fully funded, with no direct costs to the employer, and will be delivered by our experienced tutors.
- A work experience placement: This is of great benefit to both the learner and a business allowing the individual to develop their skills and have the opportunity to work in the real environment treated as a regular employee and to ensure they are suited for that specific vocation.
- A guaranteed job interview: Every learner who completes the course will receive a guaranteed interview for the advertised vacancies with the employer linked to the academy. This provides the individual with valuable interview experience as well as the opportunity of full time employment.
What are the benefits for employers?
Every sector-based work academy is designed to help meet the employers’ specific, immediate and future recruitment needs as well as to recruit a workforce with the right skills to sustain and grow their business. Academies also help by reducing the risks within the overall process of recruiting new employees.
We work with each employer in tandem with Jobcentre Plus to help identify their recruitment needs and ensure that the most suitable training is provided to their potential future employees.
Would you like your own Academy with Telford College?
Call us on 01952 642554 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be in touch to discuss your requirements.
Pre-employment training and sector-based work academies are free if you are:
- over 19 years of age and actively seeking employment;
- In receipt of Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance (WRAG), Universal Credit or Income Support;
- Or earn less than £15,736.50 annual gross salary (you will need to provide evidence of annual salary, e.g. three months’ payslips, employment contract)
- For more information, call us on 01952 642554 or email email@example.com
“I signed up for the Telford College course because I wanted to learn new skills regarding health and safety, and customer service. I found the two-week course very valuable, and was supported by BSL interpreters who were able to clarify all the information. Through Syncreon, I now have a job at Jaguar Land Rover, with support through Access To Work, for a BSL interpreter.”
Tirath Cane, find out more about when she attended Warehouse & Forklift Truck Academy
“Going back to the classroom at college was strange at first, but I must say I’ve enjoyed the whole experience. This course provides you with a real career opportunity - it is better to step up and try something like this now, than to regret it later.”
“Although HGV driving is very different to anything I have done before, it’s something I’ve always been a little bit interested in. A lot of people are afraid of change in their careers, but I think it can do you good.”
Peter Foley, read more about when he attended HGV Class 2 Academy.
“I’ve always been keen to promote logistics industry training to young and unemployed people, and with this partnership we’ve been able to create a programme which gives both the practical and theoretical knowledge. It has given us a chance to reach many previously unemployed people, and help to provide them with a way into our industry. We are delighted with how the whole project is working.”
Darren Parker, Transervice Limited
“Having worked regularly alongside Telford College for the last 3+ years I have always found them to be friendly, professional, and their Customer Service is exceptional. The quality and delivery of both their initial assessments and courses is first class. Everyone is treated as an individual and learners are encouraged to strive to achieve their best. This is evident through the results we get - providing the highest number of positive outcomes for the sector-based work academies we run.”
Claire Macmanomy, Department for Work & Pensions Employer Advisor for West Midlands